HELP Pregnant mummy supplements compulsory ?

Gynae gave me multi vitamin pills, calcium tablets and fish oil as daily pregnancy supplements to take. But it’s really hard to swallow so many big pills every day, is it really a must to take the 2 calcium tablets everyday and other vitamin pills ? Or is it possible to replace it with other food options or possibly there are smaller size of tablets ? I am a really bad at swallowing tablets and pills type of person >

52 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I was prescribed the same dosage as you: 2 Calcium pills, 1 multivitamin pill, 1 fish oil capsule. I would still have them all because scientifically speaking, the same nutrients will only be 10% absorbed by your body from natural sources like food; but via these concentrated slow-release pills the absorbent rate can be as high as 40%. This is because the quantity of food we eat to obtain specific nutrients is still considered insufficient given that 1) your own body absorbs as well, and 2) the food source contains a mixture of other nutrients (i.e. not just pure Calcium, or pure fish oil) that may hinder your and your baby's absorption rates. So as a fellow mum-to-be, I'd still highly recommend taking those pills. Break them in halves whenever necessary. If things are still tough, speak your gynae about it for further advice.

Read more
3y ago

yup me too. same multi vitamin pill, fish oil capsule, 2 calcium tablets. my gynae added vitamin D as my blood analysis showed low in vitamin D. to help absorption of calcium

Same prob as you! What I did: use pill crusher (get from Watsons or Guardian) to make the pills into powder and sprinkle onto food to eat. For capsules, open the capsule, pour the content into a small container then sprinkle onto food to eat or you can sprinkle from the capsule to the food directly. For soft gel fish oil, pop into the mouth and burst it, suck the fish oil out and spit out the soft gel. Drink 4 cups of milk/soy milk daily to get adequate calcium. It’s hard work and very troublesome, for do it for the sake of your baby, it’s worth it! I usually take with food to mask the taste of the powder, hope this helps!

Read more
3y ago

hi. just want to share what I read about oral medications. there is a reason why some are in pill form and some are in capsule. pill or tablet is because the medicine should reach the stomach then breaks down there. the lining of the stomach should absorb the medicine. capsule form is because the medication should pass the acidity of stomach to reach the small intestine and only there the capsule should break down. it's supposed to be absorbed by the linings in the small intestine only. it will defeat the purpose if you open up the capsule and mix with food right away. you may research more abt it. 😊

According to my OBGYN, the supplements are for baby, not you. So I guess this could be considered the first step to becoming a sacrificial mum. I take x1 multivitamin x1 calcium x1 folic acid x1 DHA fish oil in the morning and night, and x1 multivitamin midday. For someone who refused to take supplements for my own health pre-pregnancy, I can attest to how inconvenience these supplements can be. I still forget sometimes. I bought pill boxes with am/pm to help me remember and to sort them out so i don’t have to bring around a big bag of pills all the time. Happy to share the link if you’re keen!

Read more

I think it is always better to consult your gynea because she/he is the one conducts the blood tests and therefore your gynea is in a better position to advise you according to your health report. If you tend to puke these pills out, you should let her know too so that she can advise you accordingly. There are other vitamins selling in pharmacy stores in different sizes too..Do read the ingredients content and have what you and the baby need :) Food usually have the some of the vitamins but the amount in mg/g may not be sufficient to replace the assigned pills.

Read more

I'm not sure what's the frequency of your supplements to be taken but for me, I don't like taking so many supplements too cos I'll have to drink alot water and it makes me feel very bloated. If your frequency to take the supplements is also once a day only, then maybe can stagger some to take in the morning after breakfast, afternoon after lunch and night after dinner. This helps for me to not take the supplements all at once :)

Read more

It's the same on me Momshie my OB give prescribed me to take Hemarate for iron, calcium tablets and folic medicines but I just take it after eating like breakfast, lunch, or before I sleep.. Cause whenever I try to drink those medicines without food intake its like I'm feeling not good... We need to take it Momshie its for our baby health also😉👍

Read more

same here i take 4 tablets everyday pag sumasakit tyan ko my isa pa so i need to drink 5 vitamins everyday ang ginagawa ko 1 s umaga 2 s tanghali then 2 s gabi... s awa ni lord nakayanan ko so ngayon 4 nlang iniinom ko kc minsan nalang yong pampakapit kc pag iniinom ko c pampakapit naku tulog yong kalalabasan at sobrang sakit s ulo😅😅😅

Read more

i guess different obgyns gives different advises. my obgyn only give me multivits since the start of the appt. she just said to eat in moderation,prevent raw food. and as s long no prolong pain on tummy and no bleeding baby should be fine. impt not to stress myself. u can ask ur gynae if u really need to have them all :) take care

Read more

I took 0 supplements! I didn’t do any Down syndrome test and glucose test either! Baby is all healthy! I’m a First time mom and I see no need for any of those supplements because it can easily be replaced by food! If low in calcium then just eat food with high calcium if low in iron just eat more red meat and greens!

Read more

Not really. My new OB is not fond of supplements. She just asks me to eat healthy food, whole foods mostly. Cut my sugar intake and overall, remove junk from my diet. She just prescribed me folic acid. My former OB gave me all sort of stuff and it was nauseating for me. But still, follow your dr’s orders :)

Read more